Related Guides: Stump Grinding Prices & Costs Guide
When it comes to removing stumps from your property, you have two main options: You can rent a stump grinder and remove them yourself, or you can hire a local company to come out and do it for you. The course of action that’s right for you will depend on a few things. For example, if you provide a professional service (such as tree or stump removal) and plan on grinding many stumps, then buying a stump grinder is probably a good idea, both economically and professionally. If you’re not a professional, then you can use a small stump grinder to remove a small stump, and it shouldn’t cost too much to rent one for the day. However if you’re not a professional, if there are large stumps, or if you have several stumps that need to be grinded, it’s probably best to use a stump grinding service instead. Read the rest of our guide below for more details.
Stump Grinding Costs
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t want a stump sticking out of the ground after removing your tree. It can be an eyesore on your landscape, and you may have to mow around it. There are a variety of ways to remove a stump, but grinding it is the preferred way. Stump grinding prices vary depending on whether you do it yourself or let the professionals handle it for you. This guide outlines the important stump grinding cost information.
Should You Rent or Buy a Tree Stump Grinder?
If you’d like to do the work yourself your options are to rent a tree stump grinder or buy one. The former option makes sense if it’s just a one-time job. If you routinely do extensive yard work that involves chopping down trees and removing stumps though, it’s probably worth your while to buy a stump grinder instead. We recommend doing some number-crunching and determining if you will have enough jobs to pay for the stump grinder you want. Once it’s “paid for itself,” then each additional job will result in a profit for your business.
The vast majority of homeowners who do the work themselves choose to rent stump grinders, which can be had for $150 to $200 per day in most cases. Most professionals will either own a stump grinder so they can get additional work and pay, or they will sub-contract someone else as those types of jobs arise.
Things to Consider when Buying a Stump Grinder
When renting a stump grinder, you don’t have to be as concerned about the available features; you just need something that will get the job done. If you’re going to buy this type of machine though, you’re going to want to make sure that it’s right for you. A few of the things to consider include:
- Cutter Disk – Ideally, the cutter disk should be made out of carbide. Its teeth should be extremely sharp and show no signs of wear. Keep in mind that this component is sometimes called the cutter wheel.
- Size – For the sake of maneuverability, you should look for a stump grinder that has a relatively slim profile. This will also make it easy for you to reach into tight places as well as help to keep fatigue at bay.
- Horsepower – Buy a tree stump grinder with the highest horsepower that you can afford. The higher the horsepower, the faster and more efficient the grinder will be.
- Weight – If your stump grinder is too heavy, you’ll never want to use it. Try to get one that has a lightweight design. Otherwise, you should plan on how you will transport a heavyweight stump grinder.
- Depth – At the absolute minimum, your tree stump grinder should grind down to a depth of 20 inches below grade. That way, your yard won’t be riddled with lumps and bumps.
What to Look for with Stump Grinding Services
If you decide to hire a company to grind your stumps for you, you shouldn’t just choose the first option that crosses your path. Different companies charge different rates, and you can save a lot by doing a little investigating. For example:
- Discounts – Many tree stump grinding companies offer discounts to people who need more than one stump removed. Inquire about deals like these.
- Extra Fees – Some companies will haul away the wood chips for free while others will charge more for the service. Also, you might have to pay more if the company has to travel far to get to you.
- Large Jobs – In the case of clearing large expanses of land, most companies charge flat hourly rates. If you need this kind of work, call around to see who has the best price.
Whether you rent a stump grinder, buy one or hire a company to do the work for you, doing a small amount of research can make the experience faster, easier and more affordable.
I need a 8″ stump ground down
Bemis Stump Busters took three stumps- including a 34″ diameter red oak – over the weekend for me. Took less than an hour for all three, ground them to below-turf level. Outstanding job, VERY happy. Was a spontaneousdecision – they were on our street when I drove by. Thank You again, Jeremy – I appreciate your work.
need stump grinding.
about 2 foot diameter.
stump and most of roots are exposed.
rent a stump grinder
If you recently cut down a tree and are looking to remove the stump for a low cost you can rent a tree stump remover for the day and chop up all of the stumps
Need some stumps remove plus two trees and grinding. Raleigh nc
Affordable Stump Grinding Services
I suggest hiring a local company for stump grinding can be a better option as compared to removing stumps yourself. Moreover, I think the tips you have shared what to look for with stump grinding services, are really effective. Thanks for sharing such an informative post.
Hire Professional Stump Removals
Hiring a local stump removal can be beneficial for you. They are professional in their work and are able to remove stumps effectively.