Like most people, you’d probably like to remove the stump after chopping down a tree in your yard. If you don’t, you’ll continuously have to mow around it, and it can be rather unsightly. There are several different ways to remove a stump, but the fastest and most efficient method is to grind it away. Stump grinding is the preferred way to remove a stump, and stump grinding prices vary depending on whether you do it yourself or let the professionals handle it for you. This guide outlines some stump grinding cost information below.
Professional Stump Grinding Prices
In most cases, it is best to hire a professional to grind away stumps on your property. It may cost more on the outset, but imagine how much more expensive it would be to rent a stump grinder first and hire a professional after you fail to remove a stump successfully.
Our research shows that the average cost to grind a stump ranges from $100 to $400 per stump with an average price per diameter of $3. If you grind the stump yourself it may cost you as little as $75 to rent a stump grinder for half a day, or $250 to $400 for a full day.
One thing to know is that different companies charge for this service based on different criteria. For example:
- By the Diameter of the Stump – The average price per diameter is $3, and most companies charge a minimum of $100. If you have multiple stumps to grind, you should figure out the average diameter of the bunch, multiply it by the number of stumps and then multiply that by the amount that is charged per inch. For example, if you have 50 stumps to grind and the average diameter is 10 inches, you have 500 inches to grind. If the company charges $3 per inch, your total bill will be $1,500.
- By the Hour – Companies only charge for stump grinding by the hour if they are clearing large expanses of land that have dozens or hundreds of stumps. The average price per hour for this type of service, which is handled by a huge, heavy-duty stump grinder, is about $150. Very few homeowners ever need to avail themselves of this type of stump grinding service.
- By the Stump – This is probably the most common way in which companies charge for stump grinding services. To arrive at the total stump grinding cost, you just need to know how many stumps need to be handled. In most cases, the company will charge around $100-$200 for the first stump and a discounted rate for each additional stump. They might also charge a flat rate of $500 for 10 stumps and $25 to $30 for each additional stump.
DIY Stump Grinder Rental Prices & Considerations
If you like taking matters into your own hands, you might want to rent a stump grinder and remove that wily stump yourself. Before attempting to do so though, keep a few things in mind. For one, the stump grinder you rent probably won’t be powerful enough to handle one that’s too large. Rental stump grinders work best for old, very rotted stumps and stumps that are extremely small. They don’t grind very far below grade either, so the end result may not be quite what you’d expected. If the situation warrants it though, renting a stump grinder can save you money.
As far as stump grinder rental cost goes, you can expect to pay between $75 and $150 to rent it for half a day. If you need it for a whole day, you’ll pay between $250 and $400. Is it worth it? That depends on how much the professional stump grinding companies in your area typically charge. Sunbelt Rentals allows you to enter in your zip code to see stump grinder equipment rates at one of their 450 locations nearest to you.
Stump Grinder Specifications
You’ll want to make sure you pay attention to the specifications of the different types and models of stump grinders for your job. Here are specs you’ll generally see, but pay special attention to cutting capacity as it relates to your tree stump. Be sure to ask your local expert if you’re unsure about the importance and need for any of these.
- Cutter Wheel
- Cutting Capacity Above Ground
- Cutting Capacity Below Ground
- Power Source
With this information in mind, you should have a pretty clear idea about how much it will cost to grind away the stumps on your property, which will make it easier to shop around for the best deal.